Thursday, February 3, 2011

Hamburger Dip, Cheese Sauce, and Soft Pretzels


Last weekend, friends were coming over to go sledding and bringing soft pretzels along.  I warmed up Cheese Dip I had made the night before and thought I would make Hamburger Dip to go along with chips.  The cookbook had several recipes and I didn't have all the items.  So I improvised and changed some ingredients.  I made the best ever Hamburger Dip!  If you do not like spicy foods, or even Mexican type foods than this is the recipe for you!  I have been looking at the chip bag all week, but I can't make any more dip because I don't have the ingredients for it.  I have never had a food haunt me so much!  Anyway, here it is-

Voni's Hamburger Dip
1 can Chili Ready Tomatoes
1 can Condensed Tomato Soup
1 1/2 lb browned hamburger
1 lb Velveeta type cheese
Put in crockpot on high until melted (about 2 hours).

I intended for us to eat this with chips, but we dipped soft pretzels in it and was delicious!  Serve Soft Pretzels, Hamburger Dip, and Cheese Sauce and you will have a wonderful combination.

Cheese Sauce
2 1/2 lb Velveeta type Cheese
3 cups milk
Melt together in microwave. 
The original recipe called for American Cheese.  You can use either kind, as both melts nicely.

For those of you that like spicy foods, here is the original Hamburger Dip recipe.

Crockpot Dip
1 1/2 lbs browned and drained hamburger
1 pt. salsa
1 can mushroom soup
1 lb. Velveeta Cheese
Garlic Salt
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
Tortilla Chips for dipping
Mix together and heat in crockpot.  Serve with chips.
                                         - taken from Simply Delicious cookbook


Soft Pretzels
1 1/4 cup warm water
1 tablespoon yeast
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups flour
Dissolve yeast in warm water.  Add brown sugar, vanilla, and salt.  Mix and add flour.  Let rise 1/2 hour.  Punch down.  Roll in pretzel shapes. 
Mix together 2 tablespoons baking soda and 1 cup hot water.  Dip pretzel shapes into soda/water mixture and sprinkle with pretzel salt.  Bake 400 degrees until browned.  Dip in melted butter. 
I have had this recipe for years and it is the only one I make.  The brown sugar makes them good.

 What do you think of my Hamburger Dip recipe?  Do you have a favorite dip recipe that you use?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...