Friday, August 5, 2011

Canning on a Whim

I remember growing up my mom would make weiner stew.  Every now and then when I have a few potatoes going bad or leftover hot dogs, I make it. My kids love it! While I don't really have a recipe, I will give you mom's.

So thinking about it, I thought why not can the potatoes, carrots and onions and then all I have to do is add a white sauce with hotdogs? (I don't add celery, not fond of it and usually don't have it.)

So yesterday after putting it off for a couple of weeks, at 1:30 in the afternoon I said to my kids, "You know how you love hotdog soup?(that's their name). Why don't you help me peel potatoes and carrots and I will can them?" We had potato peelings, carrot peelings and even a little blood all over the place. Too bad I didn't take a picture. I guess that's how they learn.

Finished Product (9 jars)

Mom's Wiener Stew Recipe

1 pound of wieners
6 cups diced potatoes
3 cups diced carrots
2 onions
2 cups diced celery
2 ts salt
1/4 ts. pepper
1 cup milk
3 pints of water
2 TB flour
2 TB butter

Cook potatoes , carrots, onions, and celery in salt water until soft. Add milk, sliced weiners and pepper and bring to a boil. Thicken with flour and butter that have been rubbed together to form a paste. Serves 8. 
                                -Mennonite community cookbook)




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...