Thursday, November 25, 2010

How to Make Gravy

I do not make gravy very often.  Usually I just make a paste of margarine and flour and use that to thicken broth.  It's OK, but not my top choice of gravy.  So I just don't do it. 

Well, this Thanksgiving I have to make gravy.  Now, I could just con my mom into doing it.  But I don't really want that extra thing to do at the last minute.  Plus, I don't know how much to make.

Some cookbooks have lists to tell you how much to make for 100 people.  So I pulled my "Cooking For Crowds" off the shelf.  It not only told me how much gravy to make, but it gave a recipe that I think I can now make gravy.  In fact, I can hardly wait!  The exciting thing is that I can do it ahead!  Here it is-

Gravy
2 cups flour  (1/2 cup)
1 gallon broth  (1 quart)
2 1/4 cups water  (rounded 1/2 cup)
Mix flour and water in blender (recipe at a time)
Heat broth.(1 gallon at a time.  [1quart]) 
Add flour mixture slowly.
Stir vigorously.

This recipe is for a large amount, so I put smaller amounts in parentheses.

This cookbook says that 1 1/2 cups gravy serves 8.  One full recipe serves 100.

Let me know how you make gravy!  Also look for a post that tells how to can gravy.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...