Thursday, December 2, 2010

Foods to Warm Your Belly

This week and next is hunting season.  When my men are in the woods and out in the cold all day, I like to give them foods that will warm them up.  One of the things I make is soup.  Sometimes I make chicken corn soup or Bean Soup.  My mother in law always made Bean Soup and it has become one of my tried and true recipes. Here it is-

Bean Soup
1 lb hamburger
1 qt. corn
1 qt. tomato juice
2 cups water
1-2 cups uncoooked spaghetti ( I just put in until I think I have enough)
1 large can Baked Beans
Salt to taste
Brown hamburger and add tomato juice and water.  Bring to a boil and add spaghetti and cook until soft.  Add corn and baked beans and test taste for salt.  Enjoy!

My soups usually turn into thick stews.  This is a thick soup with no need for crackers.  If you like a thinner soup and more juice and water.  It is very filling.

Bean Soup would be good served with Bread Sticks.



Chicken Corn Soup is one of the soups I usually just dump ingredients together and even sometimes use leftovers.  My mom has a recipe she follows that probably is more tasty, but we don't know any better and we like it like this.  The amount of ingredients can be adjusted.  Like I said, I just dump with this one.

Chicken Corn Soup
2 qts. chicken broth (may use boullion if using leftover chicken)
2-3 cups corn
2-3 cups cut up cooked chicken
1-2 cups spaghtetti or noodles
Cook spaghetti or noodles in broth until done.  Add rest of ingredients and heat thoroughly.

What do you make to warm your belly?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...