Thursday, February 24, 2011

More Feb. Freezer Meals

Have you tried Freezer Cooking yet?  I would be anxious to hear about it.  It is so easy.  Read more here for a four part series on how to go about it.
                                  Chicken and Dumplings
1 1/2 cups-2 cups raw chicken cut in large bite-sized pieces
1 1/2 bags mixed vegetables
(I used California Blend)
1 can mushroom soup
(I used 2 cups white sauce)
2-3 cups water
1 can Grands Biscuits
Layer everything except water in crockpot or casserole dish.  Pour water over all.  Bake in crockpot on high for 4 hours. 1 hour before done, put biscuits on top.   Or Bake in oven for 1 hour and put biscuits on top 15 minutes before done.
We took this recipe times four to get four meals. 

Everytime we make freezer meals, we experiment with one.  This is our experiment.  We improvised with the white sauce and I exchanged the mixed vegetables with California Blend.  We also cut back the meat and added more vegetables.  I am hoping the vegetables get soft in the oven.  If not, I will put it in the microwave for a little.  The crockpot might be a better way for my Blend.  This made me four meals enough to feed five people.  Let me know what you think of our experiment!

                                     Twice Baked Potatoes

2 large baking potatoes
4 strips fried bacon cut in fourths
(we used real bacon bits)
onion
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons melted butter or margarine
Paprika
Bake potatoes until soft. (we wrapped in tinfoil) Cut potatoes in half and let cool a little.  Very carefully scoop middle out of each potato like this-
Add Parmesan cheese, sour cream, and seasonings to scooped out potatoes and mash.  Put potato mixture bake in potato shell.  Drizzle with butter and sprinkle with paprika. (we forgot and put the butter in the mashed potatoes)  Bake until light browned.

I put 9 potato halves for each of my meals.  We ate some the other night and that is plenty.  Adjust to what your family will eat.  I got 4 large potato meals.  I froze in 9x13 Take Along containers.

Note on freezing potatoes-
Potatoes normally get watery when frozen.  Most times it doesn't matter, especially mashed potatoes.  These potatoes are a little bit of an experiment because of that.  Do not freeze an over abundance of these and make sure they are not in the freezer overly long.  My younger sister made these and said they got icy.  I do not know how long they were in the freezer.  So that is why these are somewhat of an experiment.  If you try these, let me know how they turn out.   

Go here to "LIKE" on Facebook!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...