Saturday, July 30, 2011

A Tip For Using Raw Milk!


For the last 22 years, we have been using raw milk from my father-in-law's farm.  One time years ago, I made Eclair Cake.  It was good the first time we ate it.  I put it in the fridge and ate more later.  It tasted like soap!  I called my mom and she said it was because I used instant pudding with raw milk.  For many years after that, I always scalded my milk before making instant pudding. 

Recently, I was talking to an older lady at church about this.  She said that she thought it was because of the Cool Whip that is usually added to instant pudding.  I tried it.  I made some without Cool Whip.  Put it in the fridge for a half day.  It tasted just as good as it did when I had made it!  I even put it in my husband's lunch just to be sure.  Same thing.  No soapy taste!!

Apparently it is the Cool Whip.  For some reason, mixing it with raw milk doesn't do well.  I was very happy to find this out!

Another tip for making instant pudding is to add an extra cup of milk to one small box.  It is not so thick and seems more creamy.  Try it and let me know how you like it!

How to scald raw milk-
Sometimes a recipe will tell you to scald milk.  What this means is you will heat your milk very hot-just before it boils.  It will get a scum on top.  I usually just scoop that off before I use the scalded milk.  Cool and use in your recipe.

Do you use raw milk?

Have you ever had your pudding taste like soap?  What was your solution to the soapy taste? 

5 comments:

Rachel said...

This is interesting! I always thought it was the raw milk/jello combo too. Thanks for the info!

Elaine Forrester said...

could you use real cream that is whipped? I have never noticed the soapy taste but then maybe eclair cake never lasted that long here.LOL! I always scald my milk though.

Frugal Pals said...

Scalding the milk will take care of the soapy taste. I do not know about the real cream.

Anonymous said...

Well, I used a large and small pack of instant vanilla pudding with 5 cups of raw milk, it will not set. What's the deal?

Anonymous said...

So glad to find this post. I made a clear pie using raw milk and Cool whip and it was fine the first day and absolutely disgusting this morning. Thought my fridge was failing. Glad to know I can just scald the milk or skip the Cool whip. Thanks for the info!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...