Friday, August 12, 2011

All In A Day's Work!

My canning days are finally starting!  This week I canned tomato juice and 1 small recipe of ketchup.


I always save my spaghetti sauce jars to re-use.  They work really nice for canning different tomato items.  When I can tomato juice, I have a recipe from my sister-in-law that has some seasonings added to it that make it good for drinking like V-8 juice or I use it for any recipe that calls for juice.  It adds a little more flavor than the plain juice.

Tomato Juice to Can
6 quarts tomato juice (about 1/2 bushel tomatoes made into juice)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons onion salt
1 teaspoon celery seed
2 tablespoons salt
Heat juice and all seasonings until sugar is dissolved.  Water bath for 10 minutes.

This year, I decided to can some ketchup.  Normally, ketchup is  time consuming.  But I found a recipe over at the homejoys blog that is simple and easy.  Go here for the recipe.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...