Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Spaghetti Baked with Cheese (and fresh tomatoes!)


Spaghetti Baked with Cheese

This recipe comes from the Mennonite Community Cookbook.  I had made this a long time ago and forgot about it.  I have not had any potatoes for awhile, so I was wracking my brain trying to come up with something different than macaroni's.  Then I remembered I had made this, except I had used tomato sauce or juice instead of the tomatoes.  

For tonight's supper, I didn't have any tomato juice or sauce, but I did have tomatoes in the garden.  So I whipped up this quick dish for a little variety.  I also think I will do this for freezer cooking next time.

My children are not real fond of tomatoes, but I am going to try to change their taste buds a little.  Especially for this dish!  It is quite tasty and for your child's info,  the tomatoes can hardly be noticed (except for the red!). 

Here is the recipe-

Spaghetti Baked with Cheese
1/2 pound spaghetti
1 tablespoon minced onion (I used dry onion)
2 cups tomatoes
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons sugar
1 cup grated cheese (or Velveeta type)

Cook spaghetti in salt water until tender.  Drain.
Mix tomatoes, cheese, spaghetti, sugar, salt, pepper, and onion in baking dish.
Bake 350 degrees until hot and bubbly.

I chose to shortcut this recipe.  Here are the original recipe directions-
Saute onion in 2 tablespoons fat and cook until soft.  Add tomatoes, salt, pepper, and sugar to onion and cook for 10 minutes.  Mix sauce with cooked spaghetti and add 1/2 cup cheese.  Put mixture in baking dish and sprinkle rest of cheese on top.  Bake 375 degrees for 25 minutes.

What do you think?  Do you think your picky eater will like those little pieces of red in his or her spaghetti?

Do you have any other spaghetti recipes that make good side dishes to share?


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...