Monday, February 20, 2012

Recipe For Chicken Croquettes


This is the forgotten recipe from my post of February Freezer Meals.  This recipe comes recommended from my aunt who made these for two of her daughters' weddings.  It is originally from the Basics and More Cookbook.  They are not very hard, but are a little like the Chicken Nuggets-a little time consuming.  I will give the recipe first and then some details and tips from my aunt.


Chicken Croquettes


2 tablespoons butter
1 cup milk
2 cups minced (chopped) cooked chicken
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup minced onion
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons minced parsley or celery
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup dried bread crumbs


Make white sauce: melt butter, add flour and stir in milk.  Cook til thick.  Add finely chopped chicken and seasoning.  Cool thoroughly.  Shape into balls (or patties as I did).  Dip into crumbs, then in egg, then again into crumbs.  Fry in deep fat for 3-5 minutes.  Serves 6.


Details and Tips-


We made 6 times the recipe and I got 54 patties. 


My aunt says this recipe will make 36 - 1/4 cup patties.  I did not make mine quite that big.


Make sure the chicken mixture is refrigerator cold, preferably overnight in the fridge.  


A tip on rolling in crumbs-Scoop with a large ice cream scoop, then drop into a bowl of bread crumbs.  Using a slotted spoon, roll it in the crumbs,  transfer it to the egg bowl, and then drop it again in a second bread crumb bowl.  Then pat into patties with your hands.  It makes less mess.  If you have any helpers, you can also do a small assembly line.


I am sorry I do not have any pictures.  My camera was malfunctioning and would not save my pictures.


Any questions?  Feel free to ask!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...